Saturday, August 29, 2009

This is the End, Part 1

Today I showed up at work and looked at the schedule for next week. It was just posted today. First I laughed at the funny note my boss put in there about why my friend had requested a day off. And then I looked up at my name. It had my shifts and then under Sunday and Monday said "THANK YOU KATIE!" And I started crying.

You see, Saturday, September 5th is going to be my last day at Papa Murphys. I put in my two and a half weeks notice recently. I've been planning on quitting for a while. I'm starting school up at Bellingham Tech at the end of September and also going to be working more hours at the dentist office. I honestly just don't have enough time to work at Papas anymore. That being said, I was kind of stupid and made my last day 1o days sooner than I planned out of anger at a certain situation. I wish I wouldn't have, but I can't change it now!

So this is going to probably end up being a two or three part blog about my time at Papa Murphys. There is a lot to cover. There have been so many laughs, so many tears, so many new friendships and so much new growth over the last 29 months. I am a completely different person because of my time at Papa Murphys in both good and bad ways. But mosty good.

***

In the March of 2007, I was working at a job where I was the youngest person my several years as well as the only person who actually followed the rules. Because of this, my coworkers hated me. When they worked with me, they had to deal with a 15 year old telling them that they actually had to do their job. It was pretty miserable working there, but not many places hire people under 16 due to labor laws. My boss at this job didn't really follow those laws and I wasn't really familiar with them.

One afternoon in the beginning of that March, I got a call from my boss. She told me that things just weren't working out with me at that job and that my coworkers were complaining about me. I was told that I was miserable to work with. My boss said that she didn't know what was going on really (she wasn't a super involved boss) but that she was going to take me off of the schedule for six weeks until she started working with us again.

Well, as you could probably have guessed, six weeks passed and she didn't call me. Luckily, I was actually searching for a new job at that time anyways. My mom and I talked and decided that it wasn't really healthy for me to be working at a place like that. I needed to be working at a positive place.

***

This part of my story is a bit difficult to talk about. I don't talk about the details of it too much. At this point in my life, I was in a depression that I had been suffering from for around three years. I started homeschooling in the seventh grade and unfortunately for me, none of my friends returned my effort to spend time together once we were no longer class mates. I had virtually no friends in middle school. I sank into this depression at that time. I never went to the doctor for it or was treated, but I was definitely depressed. This continued through to tenth grade.

I decided in my tenth grade year that I wanted to go to public high school. I wanted to be around people. I wanted to make friends again. It took a couple of weeks to convince my parents, but in August of 2006, I registered for classes at Anacortes High School. This was definitely a good move for me. I made some friends and lots of acquaintences. I was around people. It was really good for me. I began to come out of my depression a little bit, but I definitely was still suffereing from it.

***

Fast forward back to March of 2007 where I had just gotten basically fired from my job. This was a huge blow to me. I cried. A lot.

There was a family at my church that I also babysat for. They owned Papa Murphys Pizza in my town. It just so happened that they had a couple of people who were about to quit. My mom talked to Penelope, one of the store owners, on the phone one evening when she called about babysitting. Penelope told my mom that they were always cautious when hiring people under 16 because of the labor restrictions, but to have me fill out an application and bring it with me next time I babysat. So I filled out my application and waited.

Saturday, April 21st found me being woken up by my excited mom. Penelope had just called and told my mom to have me call Jeff (her husband) at Papa Murphys when I had the chance. So I got out of bed and as soon as I was awake enough, gave him a call. He asked if I would be able to come in that same day to start work. I was able to and at two o'clock went in to Papa Murphys.

***

This was a completely different work experience for me. Coming from a place with zero structure and no authority, Papa Murphys was a welcome change. There were managers, supervisors and rules. I was trained by the assistant manager, Heather, who I knew from church alhtough not very well. She was a few years older than me.

I really only worked Fridays and Saturdays until the end of the school year. I learned fast and got along with everyone pretty good. The crew started inviting me to hang out with them on random Friday nights. I really was happy there. I knew right away that it was where God wanted me and had purposefully placed me.

***

Okay, so its now 3:02 AM and I need to go to bed. I will be posting the second and third parts of this story over the next week or so. I'm also planning some fun stuff to leave at Papa Murphys for people to remember me by. Not that they will forget obnoxious me anytime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment